THE MISSION

Welcome Mothers, Fathers, Grandmothers, Grandfathers, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Friends and anyone else who needs an ear...Please come with an open heart.

This is a place for anyone who has felt the loss of a child. Treat this as a communication haven regardless of how or when you felt your loss. My definition of loss: miscarriage at any stage, still birth regardless of week gestation, infant death at any month, and loss of a child even if your child was all grown up. For me they all hold the same root of devestation. None are more profound or more "easily" dealt with than another.

Please cry if you need to.
Please connect with others who are in your same space.
Please email me if you feel led to
Please comment so we know what you need
Please tell your story

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Breakdown - Part 1

The next series of posts will be the account my meltdown I spoke of here. I've decided to post in parts, for - even to me - the entrity of the event feels overwhelming. Thank you for reading, for understanding, and for meeting me in my grief from wherever you are in yours. Please know that today - as you read this - I am fine, as fine as I was the day before I wasn't. In fact, I'm corralling four children for the day ages 4, 5, 6, and 7 with art projects, frozen berry vanilla yogurt snacks and (hopefully - if the degree marker gets above it's current 6) an oustide excurtion.


It struck so very fast. Yesterday I was fine. Yesterday I made my three category to-do list with fervor. Yesterday I worked to cross off as many of those tasks as possible. And then, the crash, the plummet that deposited me into my bed at 9:30pm sobbing like she had just died. That unarmed me so quickly I was unable to look into my husband’s eyes and see that look, the sad and exasperated – I’ve tried everything, what else can I do? I just can’t help her – look.

A sleeping pill and a stiff neck later I woke to the morning sun peeking through the sheer green drapes in our room. I took in my surroundings. Much to my surprise, nothing had changed. The fog of nothingness still lingered, surrounding my every move. He still had the look. We both knew today would not be good. But the kids, what about the kids? When I am like this I am not their mother. I am a stranger. I heard them bouncing around downstairs, The Comedian’s voice lifting at the end of every sentence. I could picture her hand gestures accompanying each lift. Even that couldn’t conjure a smile out of the deep pit that my despair had turned into. I heard Bear;s steady, serious voice inquiring about breakfast and suddenly I had a glimpse into her everyday world. No, I couldn’t do this to them. They are too little. They are still trying to make sense of Emma’s death, as much as they are trying to make sense of Tigger, our cat’s disappearance. Maybe they wrestle with Emma’s even more, as they never saw her – never knew her. I saw her but I never really knew her.

“I want to go. I need to escape. I want to go somewhere that is quiet, where no-one knows me.” I said, quietly, mutinous tears appearing on my cheeks again. He nodded and with a brief hug said, “Go”. Gasping I asked, “Do you have any ideas?” He shook his head, simply saying, “I hope it helps”. My tearful nod was meant to say, “me too”, but words refused to form. I left. I drove as my chest heaved under my wracking sobs. I ended up at a place I never expected.

9 comments:

Kristin said...

{{{Hugs}}}...grief strikes at the strangest times, doesn't it?

ezra'smommy said...

I hate how it comes from no where.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Always thinking of you, Cara. ((Hugs))

Michelle said...

It always surprises me when out of no where grief strikes. It always seems to be at the most unlikeliest of times. ((HUGS))

Eskimo_Kisses_4_U said...

**HUGS** Always holding you in my heart, Cara.

Sara said...

Oh, Cara. I know that suddenness, that hard sobbing that leaves you spent, even the look . . . I am glad today you are fine. Hugs for the days you are not.

Mrs Woggie said...

Sometimes the heart just breaks again. You are human, you've lost a lot. I love that you are so honest.

Amy said...

Cara,
It never goes away...the pain. It comes in at the most striking times and lingers. My heart is with you. ((HUGS)) Much love and peace.

Bluebird said...

Thank you for sharing the beginning of your story. Will be reading on and supporting you as you continue. ((Hugs)) sweetie.

Lost Found Connections Abound! It Works - So Let's Use It!

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

CATCH UP FROM THE START!

TO READ MY STORY FROM THE BEGINNING CLICK HERE THEN READ THE 7 COUNTDOWN POSTS TO EMMA'S EIGHTH BIRTHDAY!


Time Is Both My Best Ally and My Worst Enemy: My Meltdown 8 Years Later