THE MISSION

Welcome Mothers, Fathers, Grandmothers, Grandfathers, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Friends and anyone else who needs an ear...Please come with an open heart.

This is a place for anyone who has felt the loss of a child. Treat this as a communication haven regardless of how or when you felt your loss. My definition of loss: miscarriage at any stage, still birth regardless of week gestation, infant death at any month, and loss of a child even if your child was all grown up. For me they all hold the same root of devestation. None are more profound or more "easily" dealt with than another.

Please cry if you need to.
Please connect with others who are in your same space.
Please email me if you feel led to
Please comment so we know what you need
Please tell your story

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Show and Tell: Pumpkin Pie in a Jar

Remember these? Yeah. Part of the super, duper fall harvest.


Well, they sat, and sat, and sat for a bit more until Halloween had well passed and if we didn't do something soon, so would they.


"We can't let them rot" Jer said, a little manic, I worked hard growing all those.


"Yeah" I quipped, "You successfully grew a kabillion tons of something you don't even like the taste of!"


"Well" he retorted, for all yet to be retorts have to start with 'well', "I suppose it doesn't can very well..."


I felt a little be sad for him. He did put a lot of energy into those gorgeous pumpkins. So, I caved. I called his mother, otherwise known as the queen of everything canned.


"Oh sure" she said in her 'we are farmers and anything can be done' voice, "it takes a little while but it can be done and it's pretty good."


When I relayed this news to him - another Jeremiah inspiration hit.

Ok, it's slightly more labor intensive than my clever byline, but not much. The pumpkin is cooked and spiced. All you do is mix 4 eggs, 18 oz evaporated milk and 1 cup of sugar together. Dump in your pumpkin, stir and split between two pie crusts.


Oh yeah, forgot to mention - one jar makes two pies.


Cool huh?


But, just in case you were wondering, my mother in law's nonchallance turned out to be the understatment of the year to the tune of a couple early morning nights waiting for the pressure canner to de-compress.


Still - the pies are yummy!


Any post-thanksgiving food revelations for you? What's everyone else showing and telling?

13 comments:

Lin said...

WOW...that's AWESOME! Your very own, homeade pumpkin pie filling! LOVE IT! (I'm a big pumpkin pie fan...can you tell??)

Kristin said...

Oooooh, that would be a huge hit around here.

The Blue Sparrow said...

Looks Yummy! That is so true, a farmer can bake just about anything that grows out of the ground! *HUGS*

areyoukiddingme said...

And that is why I will never grow pumpkins... a large pile of things I want nothing to do with frightens me!

Glad you were able to come up with a clever plan.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

You are freakin' amazing. Seriously. I am constantly in awe of your sustainability. And feel like my three loads of laundry today feel very paltry in comparison.

Flying Monkeys said...

Awesome! We only grew one pumpkin this year, the rest grew to the size of golf balls then withered away.

I might be asking you for tips on the canning thing. My husband's grandma is giving me all of her canning apparatuses. I was thinking of apple pie filling but I'll probably just hide in the closet and eat it all. : )

Lynn said...

That is amazing! I really want a couple of those jars now, lol! I will have to try this myself now and see if it turns out.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I want a jar.

Eskimo_Kisses_4_U said...

I love pumpkin pie filling! Glad you were able to figure out what to do with it!

Once A Mother said...

what an awesome idea. mmmm this made me hungry though, I love pumpkin pie!

Anonymous said...

This makes a wonderful homemade gift ! All made with love, it'a very nice idea.

MrsSpock said...

Just looking at all those pumpkins, I am in awe of how much work it must have been to can them!

Sweet said...

Obviously I am missing something. I have never eaten pumpkin pie...
Have fun eating it all up.

Lost Found Connections Abound! It Works - So Let's Use It!

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

CATCH UP FROM THE START!

TO READ MY STORY FROM THE BEGINNING CLICK HERE THEN READ THE 7 COUNTDOWN POSTS TO EMMA'S EIGHTH BIRTHDAY!


Time Is Both My Best Ally and My Worst Enemy: My Meltdown 8 Years Later