THE MISSION

Welcome Mothers, Fathers, Grandmothers, Grandfathers, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Friends and anyone else who needs an ear...Please come with an open heart.

This is a place for anyone who has felt the loss of a child. Treat this as a communication haven regardless of how or when you felt your loss. My definition of loss: miscarriage at any stage, still birth regardless of week gestation, infant death at any month, and loss of a child even if your child was all grown up. For me they all hold the same root of devestation. None are more profound or more "easily" dealt with than another.

Please cry if you need to.
Please connect with others who are in your same space.
Please email me if you feel led to
Please comment so we know what you need
Please tell your story

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Show and Tell - Grief Old and New

I have a creative family. We create through many mediums. My parents sing. My father plays the guitar. Both my parents are artists in their own right. I sing, but art...the draw/paint/sketch kind is lost on me. (Seriouly - I can draw rainbows and houses...the sun and a few flowers - That's It!)

Bear is a born artist. Damn- her stuff impresses me and she is only 6. The Comdian? Well, her artistic gift is more physical and words - oh her words - her timing - I'm laughing just thinking about her contorted face, all for a laugh.

And speaking of words, that seems to be my gift. The power to put them on paper and touch a soul and the ability to speak them in front crowds in an effort to further a cause. Both feel great to me, both free me of a measure of the grief that permeates - always. Oh - and I love to scrapbook, but that's more creative that artistic - but I love it just the same.

My show and tell this week is that gift - seen through my parent's eyes. The first poem was written by my father days after Emma's death. He found the strength to read it at her funeral - somehow.

The second is a poem written by my mom, only months ago, and given to us in Emma's 8th birthday card. The image on the card was as much the gift as the poem. Whoever created that image may have reached into my head and pulled out the imagined picture of Emma I hold: Long straight flowing hair, red cheeks, and a calm airy existance - enjoying every minute of her life.

Please enjoy grief - old and new - as an affirmation that grief never leaves us, only morphs and changes as we integrate it into our lives.

Angel of Love

When she was born she brought to this world
Such beauty and grace this brave little girl
She’s place in our hearts for now and for always
Beautiful Emma Grace

She’s in heaven now so holy and blessed
Peaceful and joyous – a place she can rest
She’s placed in our hearts for now and for always
Beautiful Emma Grace

This angel of love is with us today
Bringing us comfort is so many ways
She’s placed in our hearts for now and for always
Beautiful Emma Grace




September Graces

Autumn treasures
To embrace
Nature's daughter,
Emma Grace

Butterflies
With wings of lace
Graceful girl
Emma Grace

Beams of light
Dance 'round her face
Heavenly child
Emma Grace

Eight bright candles
Light your place
Birthday angel,
Emma Grace.


** Both poems have been submitted to the Share Infant And Pregnancy Loss Newsletter. The next issue's topic is GRANDPARENT'S LOSS. Please feel free to submit your own piece by clicking on the above link and following the directionso on the sidebar. The deadline is February 1st.

22 comments:

AnotherDreamer said...

Oh, Cara. They are so beautiful.

k@lakly said...

Lovely, just lovely.
xxoo

Kristin said...

Oh wow...those are beautiful.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

The dress made of flowers is amazing.

Hope's Mama said...

I can almost picture the eight year old Emma Grace would be reading these poems. They really bring her to life. Sweet Emma Grace.

Barbara said...

Beautiful poetry from loving grandparents!

And that picture... wow.

Thinking of Emma Grace and her lovely family.

xxx

Amy said...

Beautiful, just beautiful! I am so glad that your family "gets it!" They seem to get it enough to know that you will never forget and what a sweet way to remember her always!
Big hugs to you all!

GINA and KEV said...

Simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow. They are so beatiful and moving.

Monica said...

Yes, you do have a gift with words, Cara. I feel fortunate to have you as a core writer and supporter over at Exhale. :-)

Michelle said...

Those are both so BEAUTIFUL!

JuliaS said...

Beautiful poems and beautiful card.

Like you, I have wonderfully artistic parents - who drew and wrote. I draw stick figures and am happy that people recognize them as people. I came to realize though - that we are all artists in ways sometimes not always obvious. Each person is a gift in their own right and a work of art.

Thank you for sharing yourself with us and letting us appreciate you!

The Turtle and the Monkey said...

The poems are beautiful. You are so blessed to have such supportive family. I love that they hold her in their hearts.

The Steadfast Warrior said...

Such lovely and wonderful poems! And as an artist myself, let me say that I beleive "art" to flow in many forms- visual, physical, musical and the written word. For me creativity is the fuel for my artistic ability and not something seperate.

In my eyes, you very much have an artistic ability of your own.

momofonefornow said...

That picture on the card is breathtaking, the poetry is too.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poems. It's so wonderful that your family remembers along with you.

CLC said...

Beautiful poems Cara. Your parents sound like fabulous people. You are very lucky to have them!

Brenna said...

Gorgeous words, gorgeous artwork! I loved reading them and the flower dress drawing has such a beautiful energy to it.

Stacie said...

Oh, Cara. They are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

yes, the waiting is almost unbearable, but probably not nearly as unbearable as losing a child, i am so sorry for your loss.

Dalene said...

What beautiful poems, Cara. So wonderful that Emma is remembered and loved by your family.

Billy said...

Lovely poems.
And the picture on the card.. so beautiful.

Lost Found Connections Abound! It Works - So Let's Use It!

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

CATCH UP FROM THE START!

TO READ MY STORY FROM THE BEGINNING CLICK HERE THEN READ THE 7 COUNTDOWN POSTS TO EMMA'S EIGHTH BIRTHDAY!


Time Is Both My Best Ally and My Worst Enemy: My Meltdown 8 Years Later