THE MISSION

Welcome Mothers, Fathers, Grandmothers, Grandfathers, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Friends and anyone else who needs an ear...Please come with an open heart.

This is a place for anyone who has felt the loss of a child. Treat this as a communication haven regardless of how or when you felt your loss. My definition of loss: miscarriage at any stage, still birth regardless of week gestation, infant death at any month, and loss of a child even if your child was all grown up. For me they all hold the same root of devestation. None are more profound or more "easily" dealt with than another.

Please cry if you need to.
Please connect with others who are in your same space.
Please email me if you feel led to
Please comment so we know what you need
Please tell your story

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Show and Tell - Decorationphobia?

Is that a condition? Probably not researched and proven, but I have it. Let me tell you a brief story...

Once upon a time a young couple dreamed of buying a house. On Christmas Eve 2001, as they dressed for a party, the phone rang. "What? Really? Wow - Thanks" the wife exclaimed as she put the phone back on the cradle. Turning to her husband she said, "We got the house. They accepted our offer, and on Chiristmas Eve. How perfect."

Sweet, huh? Said house is a old farmhouse built in 1868 coming mostly renovated but still complete with some old charm - aka - drafts, a plaster and lathe kitchen without insulation and knob and tube wiring in that entire zone.

Fastforward seven years and I can tell you that all structural and construction related updates have been made! That great contractor hubby of mine made sure of it. He pulled in the bowing barn with cables and erected a new 19 foot beam througout to hold it. He renovated a dusty old hay loft into a totally liveable apartment that I, sometimes, wish I could escape to. He has built outer buildings, landscaped, constructed bridges, and every summer he has the most fertile garden in town.

BUT...

The inside of the house is another story all together. We lived six blissful years amist white walls, with the exeception of a painted room as each child came along. (mostly yellow..I love yellow) I never decorated. I didn't see the need...ok - that's a lie... I didn't know how!

It is NOT my strength. I don't see finish products in my head. I panic, then leave it half done, and that, even I can see - looks worse.

So, please believe me when I tell you that THIS (with an emergency call to my mother - of course - who made a housecall) is HUGE for me. THANKS MOM!



I love it. I want to keep going. I don't know how. (did you know there are TEN ways to swag this sash? Seriously!) Are their monthly meetings for this sort of thing??
Now, finish laughing at the girl who can do anything but decorate and see what everyone else is Show and Telling!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

It is gorgeous Cara!

Michelle said...

I LOVE it! You did a GREAT job!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

It is very pretty. We are an undecorated house too. We have a few pieces of art up, but mostly, it's empty walls and no curtains. Sigh. Want to come here once you figure out your space?

AnotherDreamer said...

How pretty. You did an awesome job :)

Andrew's Mom said...

Gorgeous! You are so funny. I too have a flawed gene when it comes to follow through with decorating. I think it's awesome you enlisted help. It's so much more fun with others. Keep sharing your pics!

JuliaS said...

Oh. my. gosh. I totally want to see the rest of your house - I am a sucker for all things old and with lots of history. Knob & tube!! Lathe and plaster - oh my, a girl gets giddy just thinking about it all!

I bet the renovations must be amazing, decorating aside.

I had no idea there were that many ways to swag a swag. I thought that you just stuck it on a pole and were done with it!

Very nice. :0)

Sam said...

am late for Show and Tell this week!! Decorating is difficult!!! I get my house the way I want it and then leaaaaave it for ages!!

momofonefornow said...

OMG! I am a complete dunce when it comes to decorating. Have you ever looked at the blog Grace Violet? if you give her a towel, a pack of gum and some pipe cleaners and she can whip out the perfect decoration in like 5 minutes. So jealous!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Just Beautiful! I love it and the view!

Lost Found Connections Abound! It Works - So Let's Use It!

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

CATCH UP FROM THE START!

TO READ MY STORY FROM THE BEGINNING CLICK HERE THEN READ THE 7 COUNTDOWN POSTS TO EMMA'S EIGHTH BIRTHDAY!


Time Is Both My Best Ally and My Worst Enemy: My Meltdown 8 Years Later